A2 Dominion Bicester Eco Village
A2Dominion’s development in North West Bicester is a 393-home project, aiming to deliver the most sustainable living in the UK for its residents.
A2Dominion’s development in North West Bicester is a 393-home project, aiming to deliver the most sustainable living in the UK for its residents. With the homes designed to achieve true zero carbon rating, delivering energy efficient, good quality affordable housing is crucial to the success of the project. Timber systems were therefore an ideal fit for the priorities of the ambitious task at hand.
The project at Bicester was the UK’s first eco town, designed to achieve high standards of environmental sustainability. Stewart Milne Timber Systems worked with A2Dominion and Willmott Dixon, the main contractor, to provide its Sigma® II Build System for 94 of the first 393 homes as part of the “Examplar” phase of the project.
- Homes attained Code for Sustainable Homes (CSH) Level 5.
- Fabric first approach, complemented by renewable technologies to create a sustainable community.
- Air testing conducted prior to first fixing, building in assured performance of the fabric.
- Pre-assembled flat roof modules and insulated floor cassettes meant pair of semi-detached homes fully insulated and weathertight in 72 hours.
- Safe and efficient way to complete homes on site.
- Off-site construction benefits – quality of the timber systems assisted by precision engineering compared to erecting on site.
- Reduced costs on preliminary site preparation.
- Reduced health and safety risks.
- Featured the UK’s largest domestic solar panel array at 17,500 sqm mounted on all rooftops.